Most Current President's Memo
Pension Valuation – The Ontario Teachers’ Federation (OTF) has announced that the surplus in the pension will be used to fully restore all post 2009 retires inflation protection up to the maximum. This only affects members who are currently retired. Also included in the use of the surplus funds is a 1.1% REDUCTION in the pension deductions for working members. These changes will take effect January 1, 2018.
- Grid Increase – As of September 1st, 2017 a 1.5% increase has been applied to each step on the grid. The new grids can be downloaded from the District 13 website. The new max group IV annual salary is $97,503.
- Lump Sum Payment – Part of the 2017-2019 contract extension there will be a 0.5% lump sum payment based on the salary earned in the 2016-2017 school year. This payment is to be made by November 1st, 2017.
- Bill 115 Remedy Agreement – Process to request Paid Day Off - As part of the remedy agreement, all permanent teachers who were employed during the 2016/17 school year and are actively teaching in 2017/18 or 2018/19 will be entitled to one paid day off work. This day off can be taken during the 2017/18 or 2018/19 school year
On August 31st, the DDSB sent an email to all employees who are OSSTF members with the process to apply for this day. Included in this message were some “black-out days” and limits of the number of teachers off on any day based on the size of the school. Requests must be made with 2-weeks advance notice in order to allow for replacement.
Should you be denied the requested day which is not covered by the black-out days, contact the District 13 Office immediately.
- Split Classes and Class Size – In ANY single period where the teacher is required to deliver the full curriculum for two courses (a split class) the class size maxima are reduced to recognize the increased workload. No teacher should be asked to deliver a different credit from the one coded on their timetable. Credit Recovery sections where the teacher is supporting students on multiple courses are limited to 14 students and teachers should not have to cover the entire curriculum for any of the credits being recovered.
- School Supervision Schedules: Within the first two weeks of the school year permanent teachers should be provided a supervision schedule for the entire semester. This is now a contractual obligation of the employer.
- OSSTF PD Day: The OSSTF PD day will take place on November 17th, 2017 with a subject based theme, “Together We Learn”. The call for presenters is out and information can be found on the front page of our website (www.d13.osstf.ca). The deadline for submissions is October XXXth 2017.