Most Current President's Memo
Interim District 13 President –– The District Executive is very pleased to announce that on November 28th District Council elected Lamia Sabbagh to fill the vacated position of District & TBU President for the remainder of the 2017-2018 school year. For the 2018-2019 school year, the office of President will be elected at our District Annual Meeting on May 3rd, 2018.
- DDSB AQ Courses for Grid Placement – If you are planning on taking one of the new AQ courses offered by the DDSB for the purpose of upgrading group rating on the pay grid, ie. moving from group 3 to group 4, members are cautioned to FIRST fill out a Form #3 (Course Approval) on the Provincial OSSTF website (OSSTF.ca). The Certification webpage can be found under the quick links pull down menu on the left. These are usually processed in about two weeks but give yourself as much time as possible. There are situations where DDSB AQ courses WILL NOT be accepted for upgrading as courses would have to be taken from a University. There is no charge for the course approval process which can be done on-line. Please take this first step to avoid spending $550 and the time to take the course from the DDSB, only to discover that the course cannot be considered for grid movement.
- Black Friday Sick Note Request – The DDSB made requests for medical information for all of those with pre-planned absences on November 24th, 2017. Some members were asked to provide medical information for this absence. If you were required to pay for a medical note for this one day absence please contact the District Office.
- Abilities Form – If you are off entirely, unable to work, have submitted the Abilities Form to Disability Management at the DDSB and they still contact you requesting specific limitations and restrictions, you should contact the District Office immediately for support. A copy of the Abilities Form with instructions for your Doctor can be downloaded from our website (www.d13.osstf.ca/abilitiesform).
- Chromebooks and ILP Computers – These devices are the property of the DDSB. If you use them, it is highly recommended that you use them solely for work purposes. If you log into your personal Google account on your work device it will sync your information unless you specifically turn this feature off, downloading your YouTube history, personal email, etc. to your work computer. It is very important for members to be aware of their social media and internet presence when using board owned equipment.
- Paid Day (Remedy) – Members are reminded that in either the 2017/2018 or the 2018/2019 school year, permanent teachers who had unpaid days and continue to work for the school board can apply to take a PAID day off. Members do not have to supply a reason for why they want to take this day. Notify your Principal, giving two weeks notice, of the day you would like to select as an unpaid day. Should you be turned down for the day, please notify the District Office immediately. You should have received an email from the DDSB on August 31st, 2018 to your DDSB email outlining the process. Members are encouraged to take this day awarded to them by the courts.
- Grid Loss Payment (Remedy) – A reminder that any member who was frozen on the grid for the two half-years during 2012/2013 and 2013/2014 will receive half of the money lost back. This money is supposed to be paid out this fall, but the board can delay this payment to June, and probably will, due to the individualized calculation based on your grid placement.
- Teacher Performance Appraisal Software – The DDSB is aware of problems with the TPA software and is in the process of fixing individual problems. Members should be sure to keep track of their last appraisal year and be sure that they are on the correct 5 year cycle. If you believe that you are being appraised too soon then you should contact employee records at the DDSB. (firstname.lastname@example.org)